- Purposes of the American Guild of Organists -
- To advance the cause of organ and choral music, to increase their contributions to aesthetic and religious experiences, and to promote their understanding, appreciation, and enjoyment.
- To improve the proficiency of organists and conductors.
- To evaluate, by examination, attainments in organ performance, choral and instrumental training, and theory and general knowledge of music, and to grant certificates to those who pass these examinations at specific levels of attainment.
- To provide members with opportunities to meet for discussion of professional topics, and to pursue such other activities as contribute to the fulfillment of the purposes of the Guild.
- Advantages of Guild Membership -
Louisville Chapter of AGO provides several advantages for religious institutions and individual musicians:
Return to top
- Helps to upgrade the quality of all music through its programs, workshops, and master classes, most of which are open to non-members and members.
- Maintains a placement service for organists and choir directors, full or part-time, permanent or temporary. Please see employment opportunities for information on currently open positions.
- The Louisville Chapter of AGO provides invaluable contact with colleagues.
- The Louisville Chapter of AGO provides many educational opportunities through:
- Classes, workshops, and programs at local monthly meetings, and at regional/national conventions.
- Optional Guild examinations for certificates (Choirmaster, Colleague, Associate, Fellow).
- Pamphlets and tapes available for modest fees from the national office.
- National organ-playing competition every two years (preliminary local and regional competitions).